Born: March 1955 Co Cork, Ireland
• Rock • Blues • Classic Rock • Southern Rock
• Guitarist • singer • songwriter • record producer
• Guitar • Vocals • Bass Guitar • Keyboards • Accordion
Years active: 1970–present
• Electrola • EMI Records • Mystery Records • YellowSun Records•
• Southern Comfort • Noel Redding • Stage 2 • Tony Stevens Band • Discovery • Driveshaft • Gary Moore • Cozy Powell • Gerry Lane Band
Gerry Lane was born in West Cork Southern Ireland. His first instrument was a button key accordion.
He later progressed to guitar, and during his early teens he played in the family pub with whoever the visiting musician was. He played in many bands in the West Cork area, one of the most successful being a band called "SOUTHERN COMFORT". That bands lineup was: John (The Father) Larkin (Alto Sax, Clarinet, Accordion), Jerry Larkin (Bass Guitar), Jimmy Hayes ( Drums / Vocals ) and Gerry Lane ( Guitar / Vocals ).
While in that band he met Noel Redding (Ex Bass player with the Jimi Hendrix Experience).Gerry and Noel played together in various bands around Southern Ireland.
During the late 70's Gerry played the showband circuit in Ireland and England with bands like, Stage 2, Tony Stevens Band and Discovery.
"It was a great breeding ground for musicians. Some of Ireland's better known stars started their careers on the showband stage: Rory Gallagher (The Fontana Showband) and Van Morrison (Them) to name but two".
In 1980 Gerry formed a band called " DRIVESHAFT ". With that band he toured extensively in Ireland and England playing headline gigs in venues like SFX Center (Dublin), City Hall (Cork), Kings Hall (Belfast), Marquee Club (London), Hippodrome (London) and supporting visiting international acts like: Rory Gallagher (also from Cork Ireland), Phil Lynott’s Grand Slam, ZZ Top, Def Leppard, Saxon and the Michael Schenker Group.
In 1983 Gerry moved to England and while living in London he got to work and record with Gary Moore, Cozy Powell (ex-Rainbow / Whitesnake / Jeff Beck / Black Sabbath), Neil Murray (ex-Bass player with Whitesnake / Brian May Band), John Sinclair (Keyboard player with Ozzy Osbourne / Uriah Heep).
In 1992 Gerry had two of his songs placed on Cozy Powell’s solo album THE DRUMS ARE BACK. He also sang and played guitar on both of those tracks.
Other musicians on the album were: Brian May (Queen), Jon Lord (Deep Purple), Steve Lukather (Toto), John Sinclair (Ozzy Osbourne / Uriah Heep), Billy Sheehan (Bass player with Mr Big and Steve Vai).
In 1993 Gerry moved to the Canary Islands (Gran Canaria) where he now lives and works.
Gerry cites Joe Cocker, Tony Joe White, Jimmy Barnes and Bob Seger, as vocal influences.
He also cites Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Rory Gallagher, BB King and Buddy Guy as guitar influences. Gerry has stated many times that blues/rock/soul vocalist Joe Cocker to be his single most important influence.
Gerry also cites Tony Joe White, Keb Mo, Mark Knopfler, John Hiatt and Bob Seger as his influences in songwriting.
Solo studio albums • Meloneras Blues (2008) • Till’ The End Of The Line (2010) • Long Way Home (2012) • 10 Years In The Hole (2013) • Bloodline (2015) • Down On The Boulevard (2020)
• I Believe In You (2013) • Spiorad Na Héireann (Spirit of Ireland) (2014) (Instrumental)
I Know What You’re After/Cold As Ice (1980)
• Heartbreaker (1982) • Hot Love/Keep Outta My Way (1983) • Live Cutz EP (1984) • Unchain My Heart/Go For It (The Race Is On) (1985) • DRIVESHAFT "Heatbreaker" (The Anthology) (2020)
Other studio albums
• The Drums Are Back (1992) (A Cozy Powell album which Lane had two songs on: I Wanna Hear You Shout and Cryin’)